Saturday, May 31, 2008

Enabling Suspend and Hibernate in Ubuntu 8.04 on Toshiba Tecra M9 Laptop

The following are the steps I took to make suspend and hibernate (kind of working) on the Toshiba Tecra M9 laptop. They did not work out-of-the-box in my installation. When waken up from suspend, the screen stays black and I was not able to find a way to get to my desktop.

There may be other ways to make them. These were what I did chronically. After these steps, the screen is white when waken from hibernate. I can get to my desktop by typing in my password. 'Suspend' works without any issue.

  1. Following this note,
    1. Add the following to /etc/X11/xorg.cfg.
      Section "Device"
              ...
              Option          "NvAGP"       "1"
      EndSection
             
    2. Set the following in /etc/default/acpi-support.
      POST_VIDEO=false
      SAVE_VBE_STATE=false
      
  2. Goto System/Administration/Hardware Drivers, turn on Nvidia vendor's driver.
This blog has been moved to touchdreams.net/blog2

No comments: